2.07.2012

on the menu: simple gourmet granola

Breakfast during the week has never been my favorite until I discovered homemade granola. It's easy, you can get creative, and I can put it in a bowl to bring into work every morning. Everyone likes to make their own combination - mine is coconut, pistachio, shaved almonds, apricots and cranberries with a few figs or berries and greek yogurt on top. What's your favorite granola combination?

Bon appétit!
Simple Gourmet Granola

Ingredients:
4 cups rolled oats 
1 cup raw almonds, chopped
1.5 cups flaked coconut
1/4 tsp. finely ground sea salt (1/2 tsp. coarse, pummeled)
1/3 cup liquid honey (or maple syrup, agave)
4 Tbsp. coconut (or sunflower oil, ghee, or butter)

Directions:
1. Preheat over to 350°F.
2. In a small saucepan over low-medium heat, whisk oil and honey together. 
3. In a large bowl combine oats, almonds, coconut, and sea salt. 
4. Pour oil and honey mixture over dry ingredients and stir very well to coat. Place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes; remove from oven and stir. Place back in oven but remove and stir every 5 minutes or so until the oats are golden brown (approx. 25-30 minutes). 

Optional Additions
Flavours: 
vanilla bean
cinnamon
orange zest
lemon zest

Nuts and Seeds:
pecans
walnuts
hazelnuts
pistachios

Dried Fruit (add after baking):
figs
cranberries
raisins
cherries
apricots 

Recipe from In My Roots

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

I love granola and this is such my type of meal, thanks for sharing, for having such a big love for granola I don't why I have never attempted to make my own!

2/07/2012  
Blogger Lindsey said...

I love making granola as a satisfying snack to have on hand! I've never added lemon or orange zest and I think that is a great idea!
http://lindseyyoung.net

2/07/2012  
Anonymous Annabelle said...

Ohhh, that first picture makes me hungry! The figs are gorgeous. I wish I could get ones that good at this time of year.

2/07/2012  
Blogger Brittany said...

I'd love if you'd post an original recipe sometime. You seem to cook quite often so I'd love to see what else you make! Also, My New Roots has so many great recipes and this granola is no exception!

2/08/2012  
Anonymous ANH Style said...

I'll have to try your recipe- I'm a huge coconut fan!

2/08/2012  
Blogger Apt. #34 said...

can i put in an order for some?? xo

2/08/2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home