6.07.2011

floor: which one do you adore?

Over the past few months I've been noticing flooring of homes more and more. Maybe it's because my aunt is in the middle of a re-model or possibly because another friend is debating if she should paint her floors white. I'm personally a sucker for old herringbone floors (number 5) or a wider and darker wood floor (number 1) but when it comes down to it, it completely depends on your aesthetic and what you love.

What would you prefer? Herringbone? Dark hardwood planks? Light hardwood? White painted floors? Cement? Chime in!

Labels: , , , ,

34 Comments:

Blogger Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself said...

Herringbone floors. Easy!

6/07/2011  
Anonymous Bailey@ peppermintbliss said...

Alaina, as always you have impeccable taste :)
Count me in for a herringbone vote as well!

6/07/2011  
Anonymous margaret @ nightingale handmade said...

I've definitely had a thing for stained cement floors lately. Although I'm not sure how it would go over in the bedroom for me...not quite as cozy as I'd like for the place I go to relax!

6/07/2011  
Blogger Global Atelier said...

tough choice but I adore number 1 - the floor and chandelier are to die for!! Also adore the herringbone when they're old and have loads of patina!

6/07/2011  
Anonymous victoria | vmac+cheese said...

Is it even a question? #5!!!

Although I must say, in certain loft spaces, cement floors look pretty awesome too.

6/07/2011  
Blogger Jean-Marc Fray French Antiques said...

I'm a huge fan of concrete floors! But I also love the wood floors in 1 and 2 :)

AJ

www.jeanmarcfray.com

6/07/2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love #3

6/07/2011  
Blogger RAENOVATE said...

FIVE is outrageous but I think I'd go with ONE for practicality purposes.

6/07/2011  
Anonymous Amanda said...

#1 all the way. Weathered dark wood floors make me swoon!

6/07/2011  
Blogger Donna said...

I'm a huge fan of hand scraped, dark wide plank flooring. BR11 is one of favorite companies for that. 2nd runner ups are cork and bamboo. I'm going with #1

6/07/2011  
Blogger agnes szucs said...

no. 5. :)
it's so nostalgic for me.

:)
agnes

6/07/2011  
Blogger Jeannine 520 said...

#5 - but I'd like it to have a darker, more polished finish.

6/07/2011  
Blogger redbrickbuilding said...

I love 1. It's is surprisingly hard to come by, if you aren't moving into an old house that already has it. Authentic patina on wide planks themselves is incredibly expensive and then you have to find a real pro who can install the planks to look genuinely old (wear in concentrated areas where there would actually be wear from greater use, etc.). 5 is nice too, but I prefer the (way more labor-intensive - all those 45 degree cuts -) chevron pattern. But I may be biased, since that's what's currently going in in my house.

6/07/2011  
Anonymous Lonely Wife Project said...

herringbone all the way!

6/07/2011  
Blogger Joslyn said...

i have to say i really, really love #5...LOVE...but by this Friday our floors will FINALLY be done and they'll be #3.

xxo

6/07/2011  
Anonymous randa said...

oh, man! this one is tough! i love them all, but i'm going to have to go with #1. i love the look of an almost rustic dark wood floor.

6/07/2011  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Number 1 for sure. I love everything about that room, especially the dark rustic floor.

6/07/2011  
Blogger Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Hands down (or should that be feet down?!) it's gotta be herringbone!

6/07/2011  
Blogger sherri lynn said...

I love the third one! It's clean and fresh looking. I've been in this white phase lately.

6/07/2011  
Blogger travelkate said...

I LOVE those herringbone floors-gorgeous!

6/07/2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely 1 and 3! It must be those round light fixtures!!! Love the round chandelir from 1! Haven't seen such a pretty one like that for some time!

6/07/2011  
Blogger Priscilla Francine Makeup said...

Ironically, I was going to say basically the same thing as travelkate...I think 1 and 3 are clean yet inviting at the same time. AND yes, that chandelier is great!!

6/07/2011  
Anonymous South of Market said...

One, two and five!

6/08/2011  
Anonymous elissa @ faucethead said...

it's a toss up between one and five. i think five would be more forgiving (dirt, hair, etc), but that's the practical side of me talking.

6/08/2011  
Blogger victorialee said...

Love 5 & 1, but think would love 1 longer. I Want to live in #1, it looks perfect!

6/08/2011  
Anonymous Julie said...

Well...I have older wood floors in my house now, so to go for something different I'll say #3. They're clean looking and look easy to clean as well. Hope you've been doing great Caitlin!

6/08/2011  
Blogger Natasha said...

I agree with you completely about old herringbone floors and wide, darker wood planks. The herringbone pattern is textural and interesting to look at. I love weathered wood floors - they have such character!

I really dislike cement floors for myself. They are too stark and modern.

6/08/2011  
Anonymous Punky said...

Hey Lady,
I was wondering if you received my invitation to our Lulus.com clothing swap event?
You can use the code SWAPDOTCOM for 25% off tickets.

http://swaplulus.eventbrite.com/

Hope to see you in two weeks!
Punky

6/08/2011  
Anonymous Luella and June said...

The first one! Although I have really been seeing a lot of cool images with cement floors in homes. As long as your warm it up with accessories, cement can be a really cool element!

6/08/2011  
Blogger Sarah @ Designs Good said...

The floor that I adore (poet!) ... is #1!

6/08/2011  
Blogger Sarah Klassen said...

Ohhh, herringbone, hands down. If I didn't have concrete in my space, I would choose herringbone in a minute — it's beautiful, I find, especially as it ages...

6/08/2011  
Blogger Jennifer Young said...

oh my goodness...these are seriously all of my favorite types of floors! when i own a house one day i'm not sure which one i'd choose! decisions!
j.

6/09/2011  
Blogger www.StarHughes.com said...

I love that super light, warm wood in picture #3! It lights up the room! Gorgeous!
Star Hughes Living

6/09/2011  
Blogger ECLECchic said...

The third, no doubt. Si clean and lighty. yes I like it very much this modern style

6/13/2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home