highlights from altitude summit

Many of you have been asking about my experience at ALT - my head is still brimming with inspiration and I've got a to-do list a mile long, boy do I have my work cut out for me. Here's a little recap of what I took away from the panel's I throughly enjoyed.
Tips + Tricks: (Megan Reardon, Erica Reitman, and Susan Brinson)
* Capture online screenshots with Skitch (sorry, only available for Mac users).
* Want a place to organize all of your images, links, notes, etc. check out Evernote. Best part - you can snap a photo of a business card with your phone and have it stored within your Evernote account. You'll never have to go searching for a lost card again - genius!
* I'm newly obsessed with Zinio - a magazine reading app.
* Lastly, most of you know about Pinterest but if you don't click on over because it's an amazing bookmarking website. Beware, you'll be sucked in for at least five hours.
* Reinvent the wheel - get creative.
* Be sure to tell your readers when a post is sponsored. You don't want your readers to feel tricked.
* Measure your digital footprint. Be sure to have something beyond your numbers, like a press page. It gives you an "at a glance credibility."
* Always be authentic and transparent to your readers because if you are your readers will cheer you on.
* Pitch your passions.
* Commenting - If you start to get a lot of negative comments, be sure to come up with a comment policy. It's important to have it posted somewhere just in case you need to point it out to readers.
* Crediting - Always, always, always credit anything you put on your blog (photos, sources, etc.). Some sites you should look into that Grace recommends are tynt.com and tineye.com. Both tell you where the photo has been and can locate the original source (amazing!).
* Giveaways - They should be saved for items you truly love and want to feature. It's a special post about the product and you're giving it a lot of press by featuring it.
* Social Media - It's another outlet to get genuine readers, but always remember quality vs. quantity. Grace's way of using twitter - 30% business // 30% communicating with users // 30% fun // 10% to fill in where it's needed.
Another fun panel I was able to go to was "The Best in Up & Coming Blogs" with Amy Turn Sharp, Danni Hong, Joslyn Taylor, Liz Stanley, Melanie Blodgett - although some of my favorite blogs were outed (grrrrr...), I found some new blogs I'm loving. To see the full list click here.
Hopefully these notes helped you out a little bit - I tried to take as many notes as I could for y'all. If you have any questions feel free to email me.
I'm truly inspired by so many lovely ladies I met over this trip, including Lisa F, Karey, Joslyn, Rebecca, Megan, Camille, Suann, Anna, Crystal, Lisa and many more amazing bloggers! And I couldn't have asked for better roommates - Erin and Kirsten - I'm having withdrawals . . . and my outfits consultations aren't the same (Eric isn't as fashionable as you two ladies).
If you didn't attend this year, come next year - it doesn't disappoint. And for those of you who did attend this year, I hope to see you in Salt Lake next January! Only 360 ish days away.
Labels: alt summit, kate spade


33 Comments:
Thank for many great and useful tips, Caitlin!
And thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog, I really appreciated it. I have read your blog for a while, long before I started my own, and you are great! Thank you so much!
xoxo Marie House Chic
Thanks for sharing! These are great tips! I'm already putting next year's Alt Summit in my calendar!! xo
thanks for sharing! lovely greetings
zinio sounds awesome! thanks for sharing!
A really perfect recap. I had no idea how to break down my copious notes from these events, but you did it wonderfully. Your round table discussion was fantastic -- I was so glad to be a part of it.
I love that these tips apply to even newer bloggers like myself -- thank you so so much for sharing! :)
i utterly adored you.
and... and this is SUCH a mom thing to say! ugh!...but i'm so proud of what a cool woman you are!
seriously. i said it before, but you are style and grace personified.
whoever made you should pat themselves on the back. for sure.
wishing for mucho success for you always.
xoxo.
Thank you so much for sharing - these are really helpful! I'm so addicted to Pinterest - my eyes are going to get "cavities" from all the eye candy out there. I'm also so grateful for Zinio - I went nearly 100% digital with my shelter mags this year because of Zinio's great offerings. I wish they had Elle Decoration UK, though.
Love the recap, Caitlin! I'm so planning my trip for next year's conference.
Hope your week is off to a great start!
- xo, Vanessa Elizabeth
Thank gawd--you're a way better note taker than I am! Loved your recap! And srsly, ppl: Evernote will change your life.
FANTASTIC summary for those of us who were sad not to be part of alt. thanks - this is so helpful (esp for a new blogger like me)!! THANK YOU!!
xo,
joAnn
Thank you so much for the recap and notes! I am definitely going next year!
What a great list of highlights! You really know what you are doing :) I wanted to thank you for the roundtable discussion, it was amazing, I hope I can apply all you taught us!
I just saved this blog post using Evernote. :) Thanks for sharing all these tips.
cute photos. My bro & sil went and had a fantastic time. Not sure my bro thought he would get so much out of it. Sounds like I may have to go next time.
Brava lady! And Megan, I would have loved to have met you!
Sounded like a great weekend! Thanks for sharing the information you learned!
Amber's Notebook
Getting to know you at altitude summit was truly a highlight. You are so genuine and a rising star in my book!
I just discovered your lovely blog. I'm just new into blogging & have just finished off my own blog on fashion & interior design.
scrapbook-melissah.blogspot.com
I had a lot of fun putting it together. I would love your feedback on it if you've got a spare minute.
x
Melissah
I just checked out Zinio and will have to check Evernote and a few others. Thank you for sharing. Loved to hear what it was all about! Have a great day!
Looking forward to checking out all of your links. Thank you!
thats a great recap Caitlin,thanks for sharing all the tips! Ill be definitely using some of these :)
Such a great recap of Alt! I am love with everything about the Kate Spade party - the decor, the glasses, the balloons! I need to get cracking on my to-do list. Alt inspired me to start (maybe too many) projects!
sounds like you had a great time, Caitlin! I actually love salt lake city, i think its so pretty :-). thanks for all the fun tips, i definately will be checking these out! let's get coffee soon, ok?
xoxo,
tara
www.thewondergirl.com
such a wonderful recap, caitlin!! i wasn't able to make it to "The Best in Up & Coming Blogs" so I'm excited to go through the list! i guess you'll just have to find more up-and-comers! {i totally have faith}! anna xo
Great recap. I am still putting my thoughts together for my post. Next year...definitely...wouldn't miss it!
I so want to go next year! Sounds fun! Glitter Guide will have design on it! These tips are great!
Thanks for passing on all those great tips! Alt Summit sounds awesome and I'm definitely going to have to find my way over there at some point! :-) Keep up the good blogging!
-giedre
www.walkingdotblog.com
I'm having Alt withdrawls, I think. Now that I'm somewhat rested I think I could take more!!!! Great recap... loved getting the notes on the sessions I missed! So nice to see you again and maybe next year we can hang out!
xo Trina
Hi Caitlin, I think your blog is great! :))
Thanks so much for including me in this terrific wrap-up, Caitlin. Am frantically clicking and bookmarking as I write this!
great wrap up! i'm completely having Alt withdrawal! Glad we got a chance to ride up (and back!) to park city - had fun getting to know you! so many ideas from alt to work on...
Great recap! It was great to meet you at Alt. Thanks for all the great tips at the round table discussion. Still trying to give Twitter more lovin' and tear myself away from FB! lol! : ) Thanks again and I look forward to reading your lovely blog.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home